Dating site for waycross ga
Steam transformed both the Okefenokee culture and the landscape after 1880.By 1900 the old-growth longleaf pine forest that encircled the swamp was a forest of stumps.
Another railroad, from Brunswick to Albany, passed north of the swamp in 1870.Indians occupied the Okefenokee during the late Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian periods of Georgia prehistory. Sand mounds were constructed in the swamp during this period.The major occupations were during the Weeden Island and Savannah periods, around A. Spanish records between 16 refer to Okefenokee as Laguna de Oconi (Lake Oconi).Many articles extolling the wonders of the Okefenokee wilderness were published in newspapers, magazines, and books.A number of writers urged that the swamp be purchased as a refuge.The Okefenokee was a Creek hunting ground in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
Briefly in 1836 and for most of 1838 the Second Seminole War in Florida extended into the Okefenokee. They burned down a Seminole village on an island that they subsequently renamed Floyds Island, for Charles Rinaldo Floyd.
The Georgia legislature in 1889 authorized Governor John B. The Suwanee Canal Company purchased the property on January 1, 1891.
The company attempted to drain the swamp from 1891 until 1893.
These pioneers herded cattle, raised hogs, hunted and fished, and cultivated small corn patches and gardens. They occasionally visited Traders Hill or Centre Village, trading hides, jerky, and pelts for salt, ammunition, trinkets, and entertainment.
A few families moved onto islands in the swamp during the 1850s.
Daniel Hebard, the son of the Hebard Lumber Company's founder, built a hunting cabin in the hammock on Floyds Island in 1925.